On the Repeater tab, you can specify how many times a single component must be repeated on the page. Thus you create a repeated group and at the same time define the length and direction of the bound range associated with this particular repeated group.
To create a repeated group, use the # Of Items and the Based On Spreadsheet properties.
When you use the # of Items property:
- The number of items in the repeated group and in the bound range is fixed.
- The direction of the bound range is vertical.
To create a repeated group using the # Of Items property:
- Select a single text component on the page, and then, on the Text Properties panel, click the Repeater button.
- On the Repeater tab that appears, set # Of Items value to 3. Three component instances are now displayed on the page. In the repeated context, the range length is set to 3, the range direction is set to vertical.
- To increase the gap between the instances, above Gap, adjust the slider as needed or simply enter the needed value in the field above.
The Based On Spreadsheet property lets you define the number of instances based on the number of non-empty consecutive cells. In contrast to # Of Items, it also allows you to set either vertical or horizontal range direction in the repeated context.
When you use the Based On Spreadsheet property:
- The direction of the range is set during the binding process.
- The number of items in the repeated group and in the bound range is detected automatically and is based on the number of non-empty consecutive cells starting from the cell to which the Based On Spreadsheet property is bound.
The following is an example showing how to create a related component group using the Based On Spreadsheet property:
In the spreadsheet, in an empty cell, enter "bound", and then enter "vertical" in the 2 cells under the "bound" cell. Enter "horizontal" in the 2 cells to the right of the "bound" cell.
On the Repeater tab, hover over the blue dot to the left of Based On Spreadsheet area, and then click that appears next to it.
Select the "bound" cell.
Define the direction:
- To set vertical direction for auto-propagation and for the range in the repeated context, click .
- To set horizontal direction for auto-propagation and for the range in the repeated context, click , and then click .
Three component instances are displayed on the page according to the number of non-empty consecutive cells in the range.
Note that the cell values do not affect the text in the component instances — the non-empty cells here are used only to set the number of instances regardless of values in the cells.
Click to hide the Repeater tab, and then bind the text property to the same "bound" cell.
The text in the three component instances now corresponds to the text in the respective cells according to the direction defined in the previous step.